The Dirt on Detox: 12 Easy Hacks to Clean It Up
There is so much press and hype about detox, and so many books and articles about three and four week protocols that can change your life and body. Yes patients feel better – largely I suspect because they have stopped alcohol, sugar and wheat – but too often I see patients come off weeks of cleaning up and gradually head back to old, comforting habits.
After years of watching this happen, I am finding that detox is best done regularly – all year round. The body is a natural detoxifier – all our systems are designed to identify foreign unwanted elements and move them out through the kidneys, liver or skin – so it makes sense that as our environment becomes more stressful, more dirty, and more nutritionally deficient, beefing up daily, weekly, and monthly support to help the body in this process is key.
Detox Hacks to Support Your Body Daily, Weekly, and Monthly
Herbal Detoxifying Tea. Herbs are powerful and small amounts of daily herbs can be downright miraculous in their effect.
- Detox Tea by Yogi or Every Day Detox Tea by Traditional Medicinal – Iced or hot, in the afternoon or after dinner – this little tea bag is packed with powerful support for liver and kidney.
- Skin Detox Tea by Yogi is a nice add on. I put a bag of Detox Tea and a bag of Skin Detox in the same cup and brew multiple times through out the day.
Skin Brushing. An excellent detoxifier, dry brushing supports good circulation, lymph fluid movement, and scrapes off those clingy dead skin cells.
Keep an all natural organic loofa next to your shower and take 2- 3 minutes pre-shower to brush up the arms, legs, and abdomen (always towards the heart only).
Chlorella. The most detoxifying super foods and supplements tend to grab both toxins and many of the all important minerals as they makes their way through your body. But chlorella is one of the few that grabs the toxins while leaving the important minerals in your body where they belong.
- A simple supplement to add in to your daily intake, I recommend Organic Chlorella Capsules.
Wheatgrass Shots. Nutritious, filled with antioxidants and chlorophyll, this one hit wonder supports detox and energy.
- Frozen organic shots pulled right out of your own freezer are the way to go. Whole Foods has them in store and online – A high quality freshly frozen option I like to recommend is Dynamic Greens Wheatgrass Juice.
- Important note about wheatgrass: While fresh pressed can be ok, it really depends on how old the grass is and where it was grown. A high quality frozen option is usually better.
Give detox a boost every week.
Sweat. Infrared (IR) Saunas are the way to go to raise your body temperature from the inside out, kickstart the detox process, and re-energize.
- Yoga Vida (to name one of a few) in NYC uses IR Saunas in their warm yoga classes.
- At HigherDose, you are able to book an appointment for either a 30 minute or 60 minute session in an IR Sauna
- Inner Light Wellness is a full service spa in Darien, CT where you can make a day to detox by fusing multiple treatments together such as massage, acupuncture, and skincare.
Shaman’s Bath. One of my absolute favorite detoxing protocols that I prescribe to many of my patients. An effective and relaxing way to draw out toxins, stimulate sweating, and promote a good sleep!
- In warm/hot water, pour in 4 cups of Epsom salts, 2 cups of baking soda. Soak for at least 10 minutes.
- Optionally, put 1 tablespoon of fresh ground ginger or 3 drops each of geranium, eucalyptus and juniper berry into a bath.
- The Epsom salts draw out toxins, the baking soda alkalizes, the ginger warms you up and promotes sweating, and the oils detoxify the skin.
Jump! Rebounding moves lymphatic fluid, aiding in the detox process.
- Take a rebounding class or set up a trampoline in front of the TV. Great for mental health and calming as well.
Reward the body with a detox treatment every thirty days.
IV Detox. Fast and effective. A great way to jumpstart or support detox, but make sure you are going to a reputable, knowledgable place. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Nutridrip (they have offices and can do home delivery)
- StriveIV (delivered to home or office)
- Restore Cryotherapy
Get a massage. Not just for relaxation! (Though that’s a powerful perk.)
- Massage helps the body release toxins and move fluid. Massage schools in your area may give discounted sessions as well.
Give up alcohol and sugar for 7 days. Give your gut and liver a break by eliminating these two highly inflammatory foods. 7 days – you can do it!
Simple modifications can maximize the detox process.
Clean up your cleaning! Use unscented, chemical free cleansers for your home, body, hair, face, clothes, and dishes. Why? The skin absorbs chemicals like a sponge. Putting fewer of them on you (or in you from left over soap residue on plates and glass) means less work your body has to do to detox them out!
ThriveMarket sells great brands like Mrs Meyers, 7th Generation, and Eos at reduced prices. This is a must.
Improve the air while you sleep. Toxins in the air add to the body burden, and what you breath at the office, gym and on the street is often out of your control, but not in the bedroom!
Personalize a plan. For the most thorough detox, a personalized plan is always best.
- I recommend scheduling an appointment to go over specific issues you would like to address. We can create a personalized short term and long term treatment plan specific to your health and lifestyle needs, and implement any added super detoxifiers, such as homeopathic drops that work at the cellular level (my personal favorite). In my practice, we believe in the body’s own ability to heal itself, and detoxing is simply helping the body do what it is designed to do.
CONNECT WITH US!
Let’s Keep In Touch
Enter your email to receive the latest stories from Grit and Soul.